Lebanon Public Library B015oard of Trustees Meeting September 2015
Lebanon Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting
Monday, September 14, 2015
Board members in attendance: Linda Cappello, Crystal Catchings, Sy Korte, and Melissa Tinzmann. Kelly Wilhelm, Librarian, attended the meeting. Julie Ford, Paula Gross, Luanne Holper, Lacy Mesarchik, and Miranda Wright-Kauffmann were not present. There was no quorum, so all items requiring a vote were tabled until a future meeting.
- Call to Order and Roll Call
The meeting was called to order at 7:10 p.m. by Sy Korte.
- Welcome Guests and Opportunity for Public Comment
No guests were present.
- President’s Report
No verbal report was available as the President was absent. Sy Korte reported that the Mayor would like to have a discussion with the board at some time in the near future.
- Recording Secretary’s Report
Minutes of August 2015 board of trustees meeting – tabled pending quorum.
- Corresponding Secretary’s Report
No verbal report was available, as the Corresponding Secretary was absent.
- Treasurer’s Report
No verbal report was available, as the Treasurer was absent.
- Director’s Report
A FOIA request was recently submitted to us. We have provided the requested information and have been made aware that we should review our Public Comment policy (see item 11b below). Topic tabled pending action and quorum.
- Committee Reports
There were no recent committee meetings.
- Friends of the Library Update
No report was given.
- Old Business
- Review of Lease – We still find occasional notes left in the back hallway by people who feel we are utilizing the hallway storage incorrectly. Hopefully a future lease document will contain a diagram which indicates exactly which portions of the building are available for the Library’s use so there is no confusion in the future.
- Building repair request update (lighting, door repair, and book drop) – The flap still has not been installed on the bottom of the rear door. Ideally this will be installed before Fall.
- Alternate library locations/space – No was discussion necessary at this time.
- Policy manual addition – fire response procedure – tabled pending quorum.
- Policy manual addition – collections process – A draft will be presented for vote at the next meeting. Tabled pending action.
- Policy manual addition – computer usage policy – A draft policy was discussed. A revised draft will be presented for vote at the next meeting. Tabled pending action.
- Policy manual addition – part-time employee leave earning policy – A draft policy was discussed. A revised draft will be presented for vote at the next meeting. Tabled pending action.
- Tablet training class program plan and purchase – Discussed during Kelly’s Directors Report. Tabled pending quorum.
- New Business
- Policy Manual Changes – Editorial Revisions – Minor changes were discussed. The editorial revisions do not change the content of the policy and most are designed to correct inadvertent errors and make the policy format easier to read and use. The changes will be presented for vote at the next meeting. Tabled pending quorum.
- Policy Manual Revision – Public Comment Policy – Discussed policy wording. A draft will be presented for vote at the next meeting. Tabled pending action.
- Policy Manual Revisions – Controversial Materials, Card Fee (Wording) – These minor changes do not significantly change the intent of the policy and are for clarity. A draft will be presented for vote at the next meeting. Tabled pending quorum.
- Contracted Services – Temporary Page Position – We could consider hiring someone to fill in non-Circulation desk “Page” duties (shelving books, pulling books requested for shipment, assisting patrons with finding books, etc.) on a temporary basis (especially upon the return of our employee who is out on medical leave). Tabled pending quorum.
- Copier Services Contract – Tabled pending action.
- Upcoming Programs – We are hosting more story hours for children. Brick Street Brews is hosting a “Books and Brews” book club.
Meeting adjourned at 9:20 p.m.
Copies of paper reports referenced above are available upon request.